Saturday, April 25, 2009

Begin at the beginning

This is the hardest part for me.

I had the perfect opening scene. I can recreate it in my head. It sets up the issues Gabe has his family. (I think one of his two brothers will be named Dominic and/or Nicolas. And we get Dom, Nico and Gabe. I like that. I think Gabe has to be the youngest or the oldest. I like that the older boy goes astray. I think that will increase the conflict with the family. Dad has to wait for the others to follow in his footsteps when everyone thought it would be Gabe. Oddly enough, Gabe has to be his Mom's favorite. She always wanted a better life and Gabe is going to get that, despite his father and her husband. Maybe.)

What I really want to see is the switching and the instant de-evolution Gabe goes through when he goes home. So I'm not sure which is the best way to show that: him at home first or him in his other life first?

He has to retro completely on Keir.

I need to just start the opening. I find myself just writing things to use later. Overheard conversations that I don't want to forget, like the first time Angie sees Keir. I know the gist of how that will go. The funny thing is it's part story and part scene, or play. I still have figured out what I'm doing format-wise.

I have figured out that's not very important. I can go back and forth for months, even years, as it turns out, on which format I should use. And all that time, the best thing for be to do was just begin at the beginning. Sometimes my blooming brilliance is late.

No comments:

Post a Comment